Our hotline is here for you 24 hours a day/7 days a week: Dial 211
About Us
Head Start
Does Head Start provide before-and after-school care ?
Before- and after-school care is provided on a limited basis at selected sites.

Parents should check with the social worker at the site for availability of such services.

back to top

Does Head Start provide services for infants and toddlers?
Early Head Start provides services for infants and toddlers.

The program's total capacity is 160 children and located at seven sites in Miami-Dade County.

There is a waiting list. You can call 305-347-4622 for information.

back to top

Does Head Start provide transportation?
Transportation is provided on a limited basis.

Head Start does not make transportation provisions for children with a diagnosed disability.

Parents should register children in areas near their home to eliminate transportation barriers.

back to top

How much does Head Start cost?
There is no cost for Head Start services, but there could be a small fee charged for before - and after-school care (if the service is available at the site and parents choose to enroll their child).

back to top

If I move and my child is in Head Start, can I get a transfer to another center?
Yes, provided space is available at the site closest to where you are moving.

Call the center social worker at your current site to request a transfer.

The social worker at the site where you want to transfer will call you and the Head Start staff when a slot is available.

back to top

What are Head Start's hours of operation?
Head Start hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at self-contained sites and 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in sites located at Miami-Dade Public Schools.

back to top

What do I need to do to get my child in Head Start?
Complete the application process

You need the following items to apply:

  • Child's birth certificate.
  • A current physical examination for your child, including tuberculosis (TB) test results.
  • A current record of all required immunizations.
  • Your child's Social Security card or documentation of a Social Security number.
  • Your child's Medicaid card.
  • Proof of income of the past 12 months or last calendar year. Documents include an income tax return for the previous year, paycheck stub, statement of benefits reflecting length of eligibility for TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), Social Security or Supplemental Security Income, child support letter or check, or letter from your employer.
  • Picture identification such as driver's license, state-issued picture identification, food stamp card or employer- issued ID.

back to top

What is Head Start?
Head Start is a comprehensive federally funded child development program for children ages 0-5.

The program provides for both children and parents in the areas of education, nutrition, medical, dental, mental health and disabilities.

Services provided through active parent involvement and self-sufficiency activities.

back to top

What will my child learn in a Head Start program?
How to share and play with other children as well as a wholesome learning environment to develop pre-reading, writing and number concepts.

back to top

Where can I get an application or find out more about the Head Start program?
Applications are available at all Head Start centers.

To find the Head Start Center in your community, call Miami-Dade Head Start at (305) 347-4622.

The social worker or center director at each site can provide information about program requirements, selection criteria and the application process.

Program information also can be mailed if you'd like.

back to top

Brought to you by The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation and United Way Center for Excellence in Early Education

We're always here for you: 211
Copyright © 2001-2009 All rights reserved. | Terms of Use | Site maintained by PC Depot!
Information in this site is intended for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional. Please review the "Terms of Use and Copyright" before using this site.